Respiratory Therapist (RT) -- Full-time Night Shift Opening!!
Summary: Under general supervision the respiratory therapist will perform all respiratory care related duties and will strive meet the needs of Hacienda Healthcare clients at all times while on duty. This is a safety sensitive position.
- Patient assessment and advocate as indicated
- Maintain department and facility/hospital records and enters accurate and complete information in the patient chart.
- RT will demonstrate abilities in providing respiratory care, including but not limited to, emergency care, teaching, development, and the performance of routine procedures and care and maintenance of equipment.
- After thorough review of the chart to verify proper prescription by a physician, and appropriateness of the procedures ordered, will perform procedures accurately and in a timely manner, and as described in the policy and procedure manual.
- Applying and monitoring oxygen therapy: tank, tent, mask, cannula, walker, high flow, etc.
- Administering pharmacological agents to the cardiopulmonary system.
- Set up and administer routine and complex respiratory therapy procedures to patients of all ages in all areas identified as prescribed by the physician.
- Artificial airway care to include the maintenance and care of tracheostomies, trach dressing, trach tube, inner cannulas, and trach tie changes.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Responsible for the application and operation of acute and home care ventilators used for continuous short and long-term mechanical ventilation of adults, pediatrics and neonates.
- Bronchial hygiene therapy: CPT manual, Postural Drainage, TherapyVest, Vibration, Cough Assist (Mechanical Insufflation and Exsufflation).
- Respiratory rehabilitation therapy including Incentive Spirometry.
- Education and supervision of patient family/caregivers in respiratory program. As well as respiratory students and new staff.
- Aerosol Therapy.
- All other procedures as described in the policy and procedure manual.
- Therapists are expected to be self-directed in absence of the Charge RT or Supervisor.
- Maintenance and upkeep of respiratory equipment.
- Transcribe and implement the written or verbal orders of physician pertaining to the practice of respiratory care.
- Observe and monitor signs and symptoms, general behavior, general physical response to respiratory care treatment and diagnostic testing, including a determination of whether these signs, symptoms, reactions, behavior or general response exhibits abnormal characteristics.
- Perform assessment of the patient, determining needs related to the frequency and duration of the treatment regime ordered by the MD. Requests orders when necessary and communicates with nurse and physician about discrepancies and concerns.
- Implement appropriate reporting, referral; respiratory care protocols or changes in treatment based on observed abnormalities and pursuant to a prescription by a physician.
- Non-invasive monitoring.
- Mechanical ventilation, IPPB, CPAP, BiPAP Therapy
- Arterial puncture for the purpose of blood gas analysis
- Proper use of i-STAT blood analysis system, including physician orders, documentation and maintenance of equipment.
- Respond quickly and professionally to all alarms and answers patient call lights in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Accurate and complete documentation of all therapies given, patient response to therapies and patient respiratory status or change of condition.
- Provide complete walk around report to on-coming personnel and takes a complete walk around report from off-going personnel.
- Provide instruction to patients, family, staff, and students about theory, therapy, and equipment used in Respiratory Care procedures and techniques, and documents such as required. Provide instruction and referral for Home care patients and their families/care givers.
- Noise level is high is some patient care areas; must be able to hear equipment alarms, overhead pages, and direct verbal communication.
- Work in potentially hazardous conditions following all the guidelines provided regarding: Infection Control, HAZ/MAT, and Safety/Disaster.
- Perform EKG testing as necessary and documents appropriately.
- Make daily rounds and checks all emergency equipment and supplies are available and ready for use.
- Observe that proper safety measures are enforced in the techniques used on patients receiving therapy. Maintains high safety standards.
- Always practices good customer relations skills with internal and external customers.
- Answers and responds to all calls and pages of the department.
- Maintain knowledge of recent advances in medical principles of respiratory therapy equipment, procedures and drugs.
- Attend all departmental in-services and staff meetings as scheduled.
- Maintain a good attendance record and follows all facility rules, policies and procedures.
- Maintain open and effective communications with patients and their nurses, physicians, peers, supervisors, and students. Establishes and maintains excellent interdepartmental and interpersonal relationships.
- Assist Nursing staff as needed with ordering and stocking respiratory supplies, holding babies, feeding patients, changing diapers, preparing meals as needed, assist with weights, and do transports as needed.
- All abide by Hacienda Healthcare Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Day/Night Supervisor, ADOR, or DOR.
- Communicates information on needed supplies and equipment to Supervisor.
- Will act as Charge RT as assigned, performing the duties and responsibilities described in that job description to the best of their ability.
- Assist in the orientation of new nursing and RT personnel to the department.
- Must perform duties following safety standards required for this position including but not limited to use of PPEs.
- Must attend all training sessions required by the company
Essential functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Duties Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- *Will have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- *Graduate of a respiratory therapy program approved by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical
- *Valid and current CRT or RRT Credential issued by the National Board for Respiratory Care. Credential must be maintained if subject for expiration. Failure to renew credential prior to expiration will lead to termination of employment.
- *Valid and current State of Arizona license to practice respiratory care. RT must maintain license in good standing and need to meet any new requirement of the Arizona Board of Respiratory Care Examiners.
- *Current BLS/CPR
- *Los Ninos Hospital and Hacienda Childrens Hospital Respiratory Therapists are required to obtain certifications for
- NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program) and PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support), and CPR Instructor
- Certification with three months from date of hire.
- *Will attend initial orientation classes within 30 days of hire.
- *Will be capable of performing the requirements of total client care.
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Basic Life Insurance/Accidental Death & Dismemberment
403B Retirement plan
- $ for $ up to 4%
- 3 year vesting
Employee Assistance Plan: Confidential/ Free of Charge
- Undergraduate and graduate studies (job related)
- Provides assistance to those professional personnel who must meet certain requirements for licensure
Vacation- Generous accrual based on scheduled hours
Sick Leave- Based on scheduled hours
Holidays- Six paid holidays based on scheduled hours
Hacienda HealthCare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.